The Peace and Security Council of the African Union (AU), at its 386th meeting held on 19 July 2013, adopted the following decision on the situation in the Central African Republic (CAR):
1. Takes note of the report of the Chairperson of the Commission on the situation in the Central African Republic (CAR) [PSC/PR/2(CCCLXXXV)], as well as of the statement made by the Commissioner for Peace and Security. Council also takes note of the statements made by the Representatives of Rwanda, the Secretariat of the Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS), the United Nations, the European Union, France, United-Kingdom and the United States of America;
2. Recalls its previous communiqués and press statements on the situation in the CAR, especially communiqué PSC/PR/COMM/1.(CCCLXXX) adopted at its 380th meeting held on 17 June 2013, in which Council supported, in principle, the establishment of an International Support Mission in Central Africa (AFISM-CAR) for the period of the transition as articulated in the Roadmap;
3. Expresses deep concern at the prevailing social, economic and humanitarian situation in CAR;
4. Welcomes the initiatives taken by the Commission in follow-up to communiqué PSC/PR/COMM/1.(CCCLXXX) and commends, in this regard, the conclusions of the technical meeting held in Addis Ababa from 2 to 5 July 2013 , which resulted in an agreement on the draft Concept of Operations for the AFISM-CAR;
5. Welcomes further the successful holding of the second meeting of the International Contact Group on the CAR (ICG-CAR), and appeals to all stakeholders to work towards the effective implementation of its conclusions;
6. Decides, on the basis of the concept of operations, annexed to the report of the Chairperson of the Commission, to authorize the deployment, for an initial period of six months, of AFISM-CAR, which will have a total strength of 3 652, including 3 500 uniformed personnel (2,475 for the military component and 1,025 for the police component) and 152 civilians, the nucleus of which will be constituted by the contingents currently serving in MICOPAX, in order to contribute to: (i) the protection of civilians and the restoration of security and public order, through the implementation of appropriate measures; (ii) the stabilization of the country and the restoration of the authority of the central Government; (iii) the reform and restructuring of the defense and security sector; and (iv) the creation of conditions conducive for the provision of humanitarian assistance to population in need;
7. Requests the Commission to continue its consultations with the General Secretariat of ECCAS in order to finalize all aspects of the transition from the MICOPAX to AFISM-CAR, which will take effect from 1 August 2013;
8. Urges the United Nations Security Council, the European Union (EU) through the Africa Peace Facility, and bilateral partners to lend their full support to the AU and ECCAS to facilitate the transformation of MICOPAX into AFISM-CAR and the effective functioning of AFISM-CAR through the provision of the necessary financial, logistical and technical support;
9. Requests the Chairperson of the Commission to forward this communiqué and the attached CONOPS to the UN Secretary-General for their circulation to the Security Council for appropriate action;
10. Reiterates its call for the mobilization of humanitarian and socio-economic assistance that is commensurate with the problems facing the CAR. In this regard, Council stresses the urgency of the speedy operationalization of the Trust Fund agreed to during the inaugural meeting of the ICG-RCA, held in Brazzaville on 3 May 2013;
11. Decides to remain actively seized of the matter.
We intend to provide you with the right knowledge on-demand at the right time and in the appropriate format to ensure that you engage the African Union constructively in your specific role.
If you have any questions please contact directly PSD Knowledge Management Specialist and web Administrator at Kodjot@africa-union.org